Sunday, September 28, 2008

Look to the Sky

I totally won’t even sugar coat the lameness that defined this week. Papers, homework, and laundry consumed me.

Something disgusting did happen to me this Thursday though. I was sitting outside the temple waiting for my roommate and her fiancé to come out. Her fiancé has a car so you better believe that I mooch rides. While sitting on the bench reading Hugh Nibley’s Approaching Zion, a bird decided to do some business. Innocently reading, my book became a picture book—yes, bird droppings landed onto the page that I was reading from! Ugh—had it been a sheep randomly walking by that had stopped to eat the page I was reading I would have been much happier. This was the perfect Beauty and the Beast “Belle” moment with the fountains and me studiously expanding my horizons! Back to the point --THANKFULLY, it missed my shoulder, but now I have an odd yellowish white stain in my book. I didn’t know what to do so I wiped it on the bench…I know, I know—don’t judge me. Later that night I went to see the BYU choir’s open show case. They sang such beautiful songs. Plus one of my best friends is the pianist for concert choir.

Last night was the 27th which many of you SHOULD have realized that it was my half birthday. I guess I can overlook the fact that many of you probably did not pencil that date into your calendars. Half birthdays are wonderful because never again will you be equally close and far from your birthday. To celebrate, Samantha and I had a combined party as her birthday was the 25th. We had burritos, cake, and played crazy games like “READ MY (insert shape of mouth here).” So either the game was titled “Read my Lips” or “Read my Mouth.”—I don’t know, what do you think it was supposed to be? It is a ridiculous game where you mouth the names, places, phrases, TV shows, etc. on the card to your team. Our group discovered that mouthing is difficult because usually you end up somewhat hearing what is being mouthed due to the air or spit in your mouth. After our guests left, Samantha and I just chilled and watched an episode of Man vs. Wild. All I can say is people are stupid. No Bear Grylls—no matter the situation I am in I would never drink my own urine or trap and eat a skunk. That man has too much testosterone!—But I guess Captain Hammer does have a point that “A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do.” Family and friends if you do not know who Captain Hammer is I would suggest you go meet him at www.drhorrible.com DO IT NOW!

And for one more brief story--so I work in a cafeteria and I make wraps sometimes. Between me and my customers is a nice thick glass that they get to put their fingerprints all over as they point to the food items they want inside their wrap. On Saturday I was just having a weird day. Every person that I made a wrap for I swore had an accent--and then I'd find out they were from Utah, Oklahoma, or Minnesota. Where ever they were from it was from the U.S. Well I'm asking this one guy where he is from as I am finishing making his wrap. I didn't exactly here is answer but I would have put money that he was from Germany. Obviously, I was impressed by his English so I said "wow your English is very good and improving!" And you know that when you give those types of compliments that you say them with the overly excited smile and reassuring head shake?! Haha the look on his face was pure confusion mixed with insult. I even repeated it because he said "what?" Only to find out before he walked away that he said he was from Salt Lake City. Whoops!

Well that is my small update for now. School is going well and I still love my classes. This year I feel like I’m learning less “facts” and instead I am learning and acquiring talents or views that will better assist me in life and my future. Maybe I am just more passionate about what I am learning. But it’s so cool—way to get some use out of my tuition.

Remember look to the sky and save a book!

--The Co-ed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ted Koppel made us lose, dag nabbit!

Anonymous said...

That's gross. I will from now on look into the sky but with a shut mouth! :)You sound like your having fun! I'm sorry everyone around you is getting married. But if it makes you feel any better I haven't even dated yet? Does it help? Well I know that the right guy will find you or has just hasn't noticed how great you really are. I really wish that your having fun and that school is going great.