Have I ever told you just how awesome my roommate is? If there is one thing that I have learned from her it is that as a person it is not only my right but my responsibility to learn as much information as possible about everything--for example learning about politics and Spanish.
A couple weeks ago, Samantha signed up to take a shift at the Latin American festival running the Democratic booth. I accompanied her considering I don’t think it’s possible for us to go anywhere without the other. SO I am neither a democrat, a fluent Spanish speaker, nor a Utahan. All we did was hand out pamphlets informing Utah citizens about the goals their Utah political leaders have and we asked people if they were registered to vote. But if you know anything about Utah you know that Democrats and Utah in the same sentence is somewhat of an oxymoron. People, especially those wearing BYU shirts, wouldn’t even make eye contact with us. I’m not even exaggerating. I felt like I had the plague or something! My favorite was asking “are you registered to vote?” and people would stare at the ground and quickly say “No thanks.” ……..Right….I don’t think they even heard my question. It was cool though because in the end we did get a couple of people to register who weren’t registered to vote and whenever the few Utah democrats would pass by they shouted encouragements. Sooooo fun!
Oh and Samantha signed me up for the BYU democrats club because she thinks she’s really funny so we’ll be going to watch some debates this school year. Yea, we’re cool like that.
Last week I went to this back to school party at our student center. There was speed dating there so I jumped at that. You never know where you’ll be swept off your feet….ha…but clearly for me, it wasn’t there. Tables were lined up and the guys would rotate after 3 minutes. Samantha and I sat at a table and then the table filled with the manly men. Oh wait, after comparing my table with all the other tables I’m positive that I got the only table full of freshmen guys! Nooooo. My interest quickly disappeared and I kept thinking “Please don’t call me.” If anything I think I gave more advice about the first semester of college than about myself. That’s the irony of my life.
School is fantastic and I love my roommates and my apartment complex is wonderful. I’ve been quite the socialite. Huzzah!
Love
The Co-ed


1 comment:
You should have worn a BYU shirt, too. That would have really confused them.
Post a Comment